Here you will hopefully find all the information you need regarding your baby’s immunisation.
- What immunisations they will be having
- Information regarding the vaccines given
- What age they will be having their immunisations
- Useful links
Between 6-8 weeks your baby will need to have a full examination by one of our clinicians. We would normally call you in for this when your baby is 8 weeks old, to have this done on the same day as your baby’s first immunisation.
After this initial appointment you will then be called in again when your baby is 12 weeks old and 16 weeks old for additional immunisations.
You will be called again after this when your baby is 1 years old, and again when they are 3 years and 4 months old for their preschool immunisations.
Please note if you are unable to bring your child to the immunisation appointment and intend to send your child in with another family member who does not have parental responsibility, please complete and sign the consent form.
Immunisation during COVID-19
Due to current circumstances with COVID-19 (Cornavirus), we are currently asking that that only 1 person brings your child in to have their immunisations. This would mean, no partner and no sibling.
This is to ensure that we can minimise your time in the surgery to only what is necessary.
Once at the surgery, a clinician will check your temperature. Please if possible, bring your own mask and PPE.
Baby Immunisation Quick Guide to Vaccines
- 6-1- this vaccine protects from;
- Diphtheria- this is a highly contagious bacterial infection that’s spread by coughs, sneezes and close contact with someone with diphtheria
- Tetanus- this is a bacteria that can enter the body through wounds
- Hib (Haemophilus influenza type b)- this is a bacteria that can cause several serious conditions e.g. meningitis, sepsis, and cellulitis
- Polio- this is a viral infection that can cause paralysis
- Whooping cough (Pertussis)- this is a highly infectious bacterial infection that affect the lungs and airways
- Hepatitis B- This is an infection of the liver that is caused by a virus that is spread through the blood and bodily fluids.
- Pneumococcal- This vaccine protects from infections that can lead to pneumonia, sepsis and meningitis
- Rotavirus- This protects from a virus that can cause diarrhoea and vomiting
- MenB- This protects from meningitis and sepsis
- Hib/MenC- This protects from haemophilus influenzae, this is a bacteria that can cause different serious illnesses, and meningitis C
- MMR- this protects against measles, mumps and rubella
Click on the below date and reveal more information:
8 Weeks Old
Pre immunisation examination- this appointment will be done by the practice ANP (Advanced Nurse Practitioner).
In this appointment the ANP will check your baby’s eyes, heart, hips, and for boys, testicles will be checked (for this examination your baby will need to be stripped).
The ANP will ask you questions regarding your baby’s health, eating, sleeping, growth and general wellbeing.
You will then see a Practice Nurse for your baby’s immunisations.
The Nurse will talk you through each vaccine informing you of what vaccine is for and what to expect after the vaccines.
In this first appointment your baby will be having 3 vaccines-
- DTaP/IPV/Hib/HepB (6-1)
Please ensure that you bring Paracetamol (Calpol) with you to this appointment as the MenB vaccine can cause a high temperature (more information regarding this please see the link below)
12 Weeks old
During this appointment your baby will be having 3 vaccines, 2 of which they would of already had in the first appointment.
- DTaP/IPV/Hib/HepB (6-1) – 2nd dose
- Rotavirus – 2nd dose
16 Weeks Old
During this appointment your baby will be having 2 vaccine, both they will have already had in the 2 previous appointment.
- DTaP/IPV/Hib/HepB (6-1) – 3rd dose
- MenB – 2nd dose
1 Year Old
During this appointment your baby will be having 4 vaccines. There will be 2 boosters and 2 new vaccines.
- MenB – 3rd dose
- Pneumococcal – 2nd dose
3 Years 4 Months Old
3 Years 4 Months Old – Preschool:
During this appointment your toddler will be having 2 booster vaccines.
- DTaP/IPV (4-1)
Health Visitors Contact Number- 01654 705235
Links you may find useful